Adiscon today announced WinSyslog 4.0 Release Candidate 2 (RC2).
Version 4.0 is a major improvement over the 3.x releases. It comes with a newly designed enhanced multi-threading background service (the so-called “engine”).
This version has been enhanced based on user feedback on RC1. There are some bug fixes, as well as a number of important improvements:
- dramatically improved performance for the ODBC and file write actions
- the email forwarder now works on a timeout. If multiple events are to be forwarded by email within a short period of time (a few seconds), these can be combined into a single email message. This is configurable.
- Added the SETP forwarder
- Full RFC 3164 message parsing added
- New timestamp with the date/time originally reported added
- support for sending XML formatted message format for email and file logging.
- Timestamps can now be written in UTC format into the ODBC database
- New text log file options. Including WebTrends compatible format and a raw syslog format that is required by some other syslog file readers.
- Improved help system – now available as standard Windows HTML Help
- New WinSyslog 3.x Rulebase Import Wizard that will import you settings if you have a previous version of WinSyslog installed.
- The WinSyslog Realtime View can now parse the RealSource of a message into a seperate field. This is very usefull if you use the Forward Syslog Rule which can include the RealSource of a Syslog message.
For more details, please read the Version History.
WinSyslog 4.0 RC2 is a free download found at Adiscon’s web site. Interested users should download and try out the version. Please note that even though it is a release candidate, there might be some bugs in the code. We recommend using it on test systems, only.